Monday, May 30, 2011

Review: Black Hole Sun

Black Hole Sun
Author: David Macinnis Gill
Pages: 352
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Source: Library
Synopsis (from Amazon): Durango is playing the cards he was dealt. And it’s not a good hand.


He’s lost his family.


He’s lost his crew.


And he’s got the scars to prove it.


You don’t want to mess with Durango.

Black Hole Sun was one of the most action packed books I've ever read. There was always an enemy that needed to be fought and the battles were long and hard won (or lost). I literally feel like I was dropped into the action and the moment I started to catch my breath, there would be an even bigger problem or task.

The best thing about Black Hole Sun is the world. Everyone lives on Mars after Earth got hit with a plague. Mars is a dump but the government promises a better future. There are many civil problems and wars that Mars has already faced. That makes the planet more real to me. The entire world is huge, well thought out and I feel like I've barely discovered it so I can't wait to read the sequel to learn more.

The characters are a bit gritty but lovable. Vienne the badass chick who's loyal to Durango, our damaged but standing strong witty leader, etc. I found myself caring for each and everyone of them. Durango especially has a special place in my heart.

The problem I had with this book is that I didn't find enough explanation. I didn't feel like I knew the characters well. There were things I didn't understand about the story because they weren't explained. I'm not saying I want to know everything, I just wish there was more of a balance between the hard action scenes and thoughts on the day. I feel like the book blew by.

Ultimately, Black Hole Sun is an addicting, fun read which will give as much adrenaline-filled action as a roller coaster. It was witty and I laughed out loud at some parts. It's perfect for people who love action movies with a bit of Sci-Fi. It's also narrated by a boy which is always fun. 4 stars,

****

3 comments:

  1. I just finished this book today! It was very action-filed but I personally didn't like the whole world they lived in. It just wasn't my type of book. I would give it three stars...

    Here's my blog: www.theyabooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love action books and sci-fi usually works for me so that may be why I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this at the bookstore and it looked so intriguing! I'm glad I got to read your review and see a bit of what it's about. I love action-packed books too, so this sounds great, but I see what you mean. I'm sure that probably threw off the story a bit, and maybe not connect with the characters as well. Great review!

    Oh, and the world on Mars sounds so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...