Saturday, March 5, 2011

Thanks and Review: Blood Feud

First, I'd like to say thank you to the amazing Chloe at YA Booklover for her amazing new feature, Booklover Discovers. I had the honour of being her first "discovery". Visit her blog to read the awesome interview!

Now on to the review.

Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles)

Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Pages: 272
Series: Drake Chronicles, book 2. First book was Hearts at Stake
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Source: Library
Synopsis (from Amazon):
It's been centuries since Isabeau St. Croix barely survived the French Revolution. Now she's made her way back to the living and she must face the ultimate test by confronting the evil British lord who left her for dead the day she turned into a vampire. That's if she can control her affection for Logan Drake, a vampire whose bite is as sweet as the revenge she seeks. 
The clans are gathering for Helena's royal coronation as the next vampire queen, and new alliances are beginning to form now that the old rifts of Lady Natasha's reign have started to heal. But with a new common enemy, Leander Montmarte—a vicious leader who hopes to force Solange to marry him and usurp the power of the throne for himself—the clans must stand together to preserve the peace he threatens to destroy.


This second adventure in the Drake Chronicles—told from both Logan's and Isabeau's perspectives—has all the same butt-kicking action, heart-pounding romances and snarky humor that readers loved in Hearts at Stake, as well as exciting new revelations about the vampire dynasties to keep readers coming back for more.

Blood Feud is the second book in the Drake series, centering around the Drake family. I'm starting to really like this series. I was really pleased with this book because book 1 in the series (Hearts at Stake) didn't interest me much but Blood Feud was so much more interesting.

What made me enjoy Blood Feud was the characters. Isabeau is strong, and fierce, but also so vulnerable at the same time. I would never want to be her because she has faced so many difficulties. I also liked the bits of French, history and language. I'm in French Immersion so whenever I read a book with French in it, it's a little bonus.

Logan was also a great narrator. He was charming, funny, and stylish. I particularly enjoyed reading about his brotherly feelings toward Solange and his relationship with his brothers. I was interested in him since Hearts at Stake so I was really happy that this was his story.

One of the problems I had with Hearts at Stake is that I got everything mixed up in my head. There was so much new information- 7 brothers, aunts, uncles, parents, friends, organizations and I kept confusing them all. While right now I still can't remember the names of all 7 brothers, (there's Logan, Quinn, Nicholas, George? Sebastian? I shouldn't have bothered trying) I do understand the world much better. And I like it.

The idea is so imaginative. There's so many possible stories. The Drake world is completely different from our own with many dangers but they face the same issues like trying to form alliances and truces. Trying to make peace. Because of this cool world, there's lots of room for plots and it's where the plot for Blood Feud came. Blood Feud alternates between Isabeau's past and present, and the connection between them. We see further into the world, and there's lots of action and fighting.

Overall, I really enjoyed Blood Feud and I can't wait to read Out for Blood which features Quinn, who may possibly be my favorite brother. It's a fun, fast roller coaster of love, death, and the undead. It's probably one of the most unique vampire worlds yet, and it's a series to keep an eye on. 4 stars,

****

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Cool interview, I'm a chocoholic too and would love to go into the Harry Potter World, playing Quidditch would rock. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...