Monday, March 14, 2011

Review: Once in a Full Moon

Once in a Full Moon
Author: Ellen Schreiber
Pages: 304
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Library
Synopis (from Amazon):


Beware of a kiss under the full moon. It will change your life forever.


Celeste Parker is used to hearing scary stories about werewolves—Legend's Run is famous for them. She's used to everything in the small town until Brandon Maddox moves to Legend's Run and Celeste finds herself immediately drawn to the handsome new student. But when, after an unnerving visit with a psychic, she encounters a pack of wolves and gorgeous, enigmatic Brandon, she must discover whether his transformation is more than legend or just a trick of the shadows in the moonlight.


Her best friends may never forgive her if she gives up her perfect boyfriend, Nash, for Brandon, who's from the wrong side of town. But she can't deny her attraction or the strong pull he has on her. Brandon may be Celeste's hero, or he may be the most dangerous creature she could encounter in the woods of Legend's Run.


Psychic predictions, generations-old secrets, a town divided, and the possibility of falling in love with a hot and heroic werewolf are the perfect formula for what happens . . . once in a full moon.


Once in a Full Moon is a nice, light, romantic werewolf story.

The main character is Celeste, a quiet, dreamer sort of girl who is nice and sweet. She's meant to be relatable but I ended up not liking her. Celeste has two best friends, Ivy and Abby, who are both very rich girls. Celeste isn't as rich as them, which may be why her opinion often differs from them on the topic of the "Westsiders" (people from the "wrong" side of town). What bugs me is how annoying Celeste's supposed best friends are. Celeste always comments on how much she cares for them and how they mean well, but I kept wondering what kind of good friends force her to be with some guy she doesn't like? What kind of friends completely ignore her wishes and wants so that their own can come true? I lost respect for Celeste since she hangs out with people like that. An example would be when Brandon, a Westsider, sat down in a seat that was meant to be hers. Her friends were rude to him, even though it was the first day of school just because he was a Westsider.

Another annoying character was Nash, Celeste's boyfriend. I'm glad she makes the choice to stay away from him, but his cowardly attitude and neediness makes me very mad at him. He is a jerk in every sense and I'm glad Celeste realizes it. Though his part in the story is needed, I wish there was something that could redeem him.

I liked Celeste much more when she was alone or with Brandon. She is a calm, cool girl. Albeit a kind of lovestruck, typical teenager, but still she is a way better person than before. She's more original and genuinely happy to help others. Plus when her friends aren't around, her loyalty to them is sweet.

So obviously, most of the problems I had with this book were the characters that I didn't like. They acted unbelievably, and I didn't feel any sympathy toward most of them.

The supernatural element of the story is interesting, but not for my tastes. It is more of a classic werewolf story. The prophecies of a kiss under the moon however are very interesting and made sure that the story ends in a good way. There is a plot that's more original than your "girl meets bad boy with terrible secret" which I appreciated.

Once in a Full Moon was written really well and was easy to read. I would recommend this to people looking for a light, romantic werewolf read.

3 stars, ***

Thoughts about the cover:
This will be a new feature basically about the cover and presentation of the book because I find it's an important part of any book for me.

I love the cover of this book! Dark blues and hot pink in cursive? *sighs* The inside of the book is reallt cool too. The first  page of every chapter is a page all in black  with the exception of the writing and there are trees and a moon... pretty. I'd give 4 out of five stars because it's so pretty.

xoxo,
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the waiting list for this book at my library... can't wait to read it. I think it's going to take forever to come in though! It's so popular!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...