Thursday, March 24, 2011

Review: Infinite Days

Infinite Days
Author: Rebecca Maizel
Pages: 336
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: Library
Synopsis (from Amazon): "Throughout all my histories, I found no one I loved more than you...no one."

Those were some of Rhode's last words to me. The last time he would pronounce his love. The last time I would see his face.
It was the first time in 592 years I could take a breath. Lay in the sun. Taste.

Rhode sacrificed himself so I, Lenah Beaudonte, could be human again. So I could stop the blood lust.

I never expected to fall in love with someone else that wasn't Rhode.

But Justin was...daring. Exciting. More beautiful than I could dream.

I never expected to be sixteen again...then again, I never expected my past to come back and haunt me...

Infinite Days was on my TBR pile for such a long time and I've finally read it. It's the story of Lenah, a former vampire queen.

The vampire element in this story surprised me. It was really good! These aren't glamorous vampires. They're suffering beings and I can't imagine the pain Lenah went through. The suffering was well written and so interesting to read (not in a creepy way though :P). The flashbacks added so much to the story and I'm so glad this vampire mythology is different and unique, not just another cliché story.

The characters were super interesting. Most of the major ones had lots of depth, history and background. They were unique people and easy to distinguish. Lenah herself was a good character. I instantly supported her and though she did make a few mistakes, I felt she redeemed herself in the end.

One thing I wasn't too fond of was how Lenah and Justin fell in love. Besides the fact that he's cute, popular, and sort of a daredevil, I didn't see why she was so interested in him. Later, I was okay with their relationship but I was still not feeling the chemistry that was supposed to be there. That part of the story kind of flopped for me but there were many other good parts that more than made up for it (like scenes with Rhode, who I liked much more than Justin).

The story didn't hook me early on. I was iffy on reading it and I didn't get as engaged as I should of for the first hundred pages or so. A good chunk into the middle the story picked up and was really interesting. The end was awesome. Tons of action, suspense, and surprise. Not all of them were good, either. Basically, the ending blew me away and ended with a bang which is mainly why I'm giving this book 4 stars.

****

Cover thoughts: Pretty, but misleading. I thought this would be a contemporary novel. I don't absolutely love the cover, but I do admit the eye and the tear is pretty cool.

-P.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...