Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review: The Lost Hero

The Heroes of Olympus, Book One: The Lost Hero
Author: Rick Riordan
Pages: 576
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Source: Library
Series: Spin-off of: The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson series)
Synopsis from Amazon: After saving Olympus from the evil Titan lord, Kronos, Percy and friends have rebuilt their beloved Camp Half-Blood, where the next generation of demigods must now prepare for a chilling prophecy of their own:

Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

Now, in a brand-new series from blockbuster best-selling author Rick Riordan, fans return to the world of Camp Half-Blood. Here, a new group of heroes will inherit a quest. But to survive the journey, they’ll need the help of some familiar demigods.


WARNING: FAN OF RICK RIORDAN HERE!

It's midnight (or it was when I wrote this review) and I've just finished The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan which I loved. It's a MG level book but it's definitely one of my favorite series. The characters are all mature, cool, and the story has little bits of comedic relief that make me laugh. Plus, it's about Greek myths and it's a spinoff kinda series to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series so what's not to like?

The first thing I love about this book is how it's written. It's fast-paced with action, but it's funny and does a really good job at describing scenes in brief yet informative ways. The story jumps from the point of views of Piper, Jason and Leo.

Our new heroes are strong and each have to overcome different obstacles. I would have liked their characters to be a bit more developed because I still don't feel like I know them well but I'm sure the next books in the series will change that.

The plot is so engaging! There was lots of action, lots of Greek Gods and many new revelations. I completely devoured it and the plot looks epic so I can't wait to read the next book.

The ending: OMG now that's a cliffhanger. It may not seem so exciting to some people, but I absolutely went nuts when I read it. It's a typical Rick Riordan cliffhanger, very similar to the end of one of the Percy Jackson books.

This book is exactly what I hoped a spinoff would be. There's the same world but more of an expansion of it. (Gotta say, it's absolutely brilliant idea.) There are the same characters in the old series who are alive and well. And they're featured a lot in the new series. How much though has yet to be determined. There's a fresh prophecy and even more epic plot. What's not to love?

This series (combined with the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series) has reached a whole new standard of awesome for me. Harry Potter awesome, and if you were a fan of the old series, definitely check out the new series.

5 stars,

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...