Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Imaginary Girls


Imaginary Girls




Author: Nova Ren Suma
Pages: 348
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Source: Library
Synopsis: Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby. 


 But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood. 


 With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.


Buy the Book (The Book Depository/Amazon)

Imaginary Girls was not what I was expecting. It was a haunting story full of creepiness and sisterly love.

I can't say much about the characters. I didn't really like any of them. Not because they were badly written characters and lacked depth and stuff, but because some of their actions didn't sit right with me. Chloe for one didn't have much of a personality without her sister Ruby. Ruby was fabulous but also so cold. I wouldn't be sure whether to love her or to run away from her if I met her. London I just didn't like, no matter how much she went through. The characters were so odd but their interactions so interesting.

The plot of Imaginary Girls is very subtle. Questions keep building up till the very scary realization, and still there are questions. Not all of them are answered. The book is very unique, no one could possible doubt that. The suspense is crazy. Nova Rena Suma lulls you into a false sense of security before she strikes.

The story, while enchanting, wasn't my kind of solid story. There was a lot of events that were seemingly random and nothing made sense until the end where a lot of stuff still didn't make sense. At times, I didn't like the pacing. It felt like nothing important was happening because the plot was unconventional and I had no idea where it would lead. The book didn't hook me in and make me want to finish it right then and there. The story just didn't seem to work for me. I appreciate it as a creepy story (oh, and I'm NEVER swimming in a reservoir so it served as a warning too) but I didn't really love it.

That being said, there was some great writing here that will appeal to many readers. 3.5 stars for this creepy story.

*** & 1/2 *

3 comments:

  1. "The characters were so odd but their interactions so interesting."

    That's exactly how Sarah felt! That combined with the writing made her really enjoy this book.

    "There was a lot of events that were seemingly random and nothing made sense until the end where a lot of stuff still didn't make sense."

    That's exactly how Kristan felt, lol. That combined with the slowness made her not really enjoy this book. (But because of the great writing she would still like to read more from Nova Ren Suma.)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm NEVER swimming in a reservoir so it served as a warning too.

    That comment made me laugh, hah. I actually really loved this one, but I totally understand why not everyone did. I'd love to see a straight-out YA ghost story from this author someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @We Heart YA: I guess I'm in the middle- I liked it but never really loved it. I'm glad you guys could relate to my review. I definitely want more from this author!

    @Wendy: This seems to be one of those books that you'll either get or not get depending on your likes or dislikes. It's certainly a special book.

    I would love to read a ghost story from her too! I bet it would be scary but beautiful. Either way, I'm curious to see what her next book will be about.

    Thank you both for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...