Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: Balefire


Balefire




Author: Cate Tiernan
Pages: 974
Publisher: Speak
Source: Library
Synopsis: The whole Balefire series by Cate Tiernan is now in one edition. After seventeen-year-old Thais Allard loses her widowed father in a tragic car accident, she is forced to leave the only home she's ever known to live with a total stranger in New Orleans. New Orleans greets Thais with many secrets and mysteries, but none as unbelievable as the moment she comes face to face with the impossible — an identical twin, Clio. 


 Thais soon learns that she and the twin she never knew come from a family of witches, that she possesses astonishing powers, and that she, along with Clio, has a key role in Balefire, the coven she was born into. Fiery Clio is less than thrilled to have to share the spotlight, but the twins must learn to combine their powers in order to complete a rite that will transform their lives and the coven forever.

Buy the Book (The Book Depository/Amazon)

Balefire was really an incredible read. It was exactly the kind of book (or series) I had been pining to read and I finished it quickly.

This was the kind of book that once I started, I couldn't stop. I'd say "I'll just read this chapter" and 200 pages later I'd finally stop. The kind of book that just gripped me and made me forget of everything except itself. A real page turner, it was. There was always something happening and I loved the mystery and suspense. The storyline was interesting and complicated. I devoured this book.

What I liked best were the characters. I related so strongly and I loved them all so much. The book was written in alternating point of views so we got to see a little bit of everyone. There was a huge cast of characters from the Treize to Clio's friends and almost every person was unique in their way with a backstory. Almost because there wasn't enough time for everyone to shine. I got attached to these characters who were both good and bad and made surprising choices. Richard and Claire along with the twins were among my favorites. It was fun to read of everyone's relationships.

The magic was very good too! Based on the few other books I've read by the author, Cate Tiernan knows her magic. She made Bonne Magie believable. The magic was complicated and interesting. I loved that the magic had consequences that were scary. Magic wasn't portrayed as something awesome you can always use. It was something awesome that should be used wisely.

My only complaint is that the ending left some loose threads that are pretty much going to drive me crazy. I wouldn't object to another book to close things off even more. Or even a short story. I just want more. ;)

If you love witches and magic, with romance, darkness and danger you'll love Balefire. 4.5 stars,

**** & 1/2 *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...