Monday, August 1, 2011

Review: Battle Dress

Battle Dress





Author: Amy Efaw
Pages: 304
Publisher: Speak
Source: Library
Challenge: The Ultimate Reviewer's Challenge
Synopsis: Based on the author's own experiences as a cadet at the exclusive United States Military Academy at West Point, Battle Dress is the brutally honest tale of seventeen-year-old Andi Davis, who views her acceptance at West Point as a chance to escape her dysfunctional family and prove to herself that she has what it takes to survive "The Beast," insider terminology for Basic Training. But nothing could have prepared Andi for the rigors that follow - or for the inner strength that she will need to succeed as a woman in a nearly all-male society. Compelling and powerful, but never militaristic, this is a tale of triumph that won't fail to move readers.

Buy the Book (Amazon)

Battle Dress was so much fun to read! It's all about Andi starting Cadet training during the summer and I loved reading it. It's reinforced my thoughts of never joining the army but it's also made me want to read more!

Battle Dress is the kind of book that leaves you wanting more. I laughed a ton during the beginning (though I'm not sure if the humor was intentional... I have a weird sense of funny) but then I got used to the insults hurled by Cadets. The actual story is very simple since most of the writing is Cadets screaming and about what Andi did at Beast, but there is a very strong theme and characters anyway.

Andi is totally relatable. Her family has some huge screws loose and I would have left them too if I were in her position. That doesn't mean Andi hates them all- there are some good parts to everyone of course, even if it's extremely hard to find. Andi is independent which I loved. This girl ain't looking for no Prince Charming. I bet she could kick Prince Charming's butt.

Andi is a winner, a completely hardcore winner. She has this drive and ambition. She proves mind over matter and she tries so hard at everything and succeeds. She does encounter setbacks but she rises above them. She's awesome and the perfect narrator.

I need to admit, reading of the military left me a bit horrified while interested. I know what the military is for of course, but I never imagined the lessons they'd have to learn to get the job. I never imagined the training and keeping the purpose in mind. Battle Dress raised awareness of that for me.

Overall, a great read, Battle Dress shows the importance of humor, drive, and persistence. Never surrendering my interest, I was completely engrossed in this book. 4 stars,

****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...