Friday, January 21, 2011

Review: Pegasus

Pegasus

Author: Robin McKinley
Pages: 400
Source: Library
Synopsis: Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pagasi, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own Pegasus, on her twelfth birthday. The two species coexist peacefully, despite the language barriers separating them. Humans and pegasi both rely on specially-trained Speaker magicians as the only means of real communication.
But its different for Sylvi and Ebon. They can understand each other. They quickly grow close-so close that their bond becomes a threat to the status quo-and possibly to the future safety of their two nations

Wow, this book had the most amazing descriptions. It was like McKinley saw her world in front of her and was describing it. It's truly astonishing that she built that world all in her brain. This story is so original but also relatable. It's a story of how two different cultures meet, tried to communicate. 

The story is about Sylvi, who after reading this I can completely relate with. She's short (well, I don't relate with that) but she is ready to fight for what she wants. The diplomatic way. One of my favourite things about this book was that Sylvi was strong and a fighter while being diplomatic and remembering societies rules. I'm not saying that we always should, but most peoole to so not all strong heroines have to be rebels. Sylvi's relationships were well thought out. I understood them and really started to care for minor characters as much as I cared for Ebon.

Ebon and the Pegasi were amazing. They were all unique, evidently a different race and though there aren't Pegasi on Earth (not any that we've found at least) it was a story of two completely different cultures who couldn't understand each other begin to learn.

What I didn't like about the story was that sometimes, I would be a bit confused on what was happening. Sylvi would be talking to Ebon, then remembering a talk with her mom, then her dad appears, or something like that and I would be confused. This is not a light, easy read at all. You really need to pay attention to what's happening and the details.

Lastly, my favourite thing about this book was the complexity. I've already stated how the descriptions are beautiful, but the plot is well written too. It keeps me guessing and random events become important later on.

All in all, it was a good read but a bit long and hard. This isn't a story I will forget, so I giving it 4 stars.

****

xoxo,

-P.E.

P.S. I'd love to hear your comments about my review!

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing that you can relate to the title... somewhat, if you know what I mean ;) Btw, long time no see!

    - Toaster

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...