Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: Liar

Liar
Author: Justine Larbalestier
Pages: 384
Source: Library
SynopsisMicah will freely admit that she’s a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she’ll ever tell you. Over the years she’s duped her classmates, her teachers, and even her parents, and she’s always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as naturally as breathing? Taking readers deep into the psyche of a young woman who will say just about anything to convince them—and herself—that she’s finally come clean, Liar is a bone-chilling thriller that will have readers see-sawing between truths and lies right up to the end. Honestly.


Wow, I really enjoyed this book. Micah alternates between lies even though she tells you earlier on it's the truth. I loved that- it was like a mystery.  And her lies were so natural that even though she said frequently she was a liar, I believed her again and again. That made the way the story was written appealing to me for most of the book. I did finally get annoyed in the last 20 pages though but that might be because I read it late at night. 


Micah's greatest secret was something that I was expecting since I got spoiled somewhere. I'm really upset because when it got revealed, I wasn't very shocked. Which is why I'm not spoiling it for you. 


The characters all interest me at least. There were certain actions done that I didn't understand at all, but that didn't make me like the characters any less. They're all so different, from popular Tayshawn to the jerk Brandon. Wow, I must like this book if I can remember everyone's name! 


Some thing that might turn people off from the book is how it's written. I said I liked it, but other people might not like the format after a while. Micah might also be hard to connect to for some, but again, I connected to her. The author, Justine Larbalestier, wrote Liar very skillfully and I can't imagine  her writing it any different way. 


Overall, this was a pleasure to read and discover all the twists and turns. It's a book that will get you thinking and shocked with all the plot twists. It also makes you take a second look at people. That's why I'm giving it four stars, 


****


Hope you liked my review, 


-P.E.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...