Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Top Ten Bookish Confessions



Top Ten Tuesday is an awesome meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and though I very rarely participate in any type of meme anymore (I admit I suck) I thought the topic was interesting so I'm participating this week. Plus, I don't think you guys want yet another review.

So here are my top ten bookish and bloggish confessions.

1. I have a schedule for every book I read. It goes something along the lines of 3-4 library books, review books, and then personal titles. 

2. I rarely read books I got just for myself and not from the library or for review. It took me more than a year to read Angelfire, not because it was awful (it was pretty awesome) but because there are so many other books in the way. 

Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)3. I never review more than one book on Netgally because I forget about them. Never mind my Kobo is broken right now (*sobs*) but in general I never use it. I have library books and review titles. I've forgotten ebooks before because I'm not used to them. I'll always review a hard copy faster than an ecopy. 


4. Before reading a book, I will search on Goodreads for a 5 star review and a 1 star review. I feel like that way I'll temper my expectations and I'll be better informed. 


5. I usually read longer reviews. I want someone to be specific about things they liked and didn't like, and I want details. I mostly write my reviews in a sort of essay format- intro, three paragraphs (about plot/characters/setting/interests/likes/dislikes), and conclusion (where I'll give a star rating). 

6. My new star rating system: 
1 star= Didn't like the book.
2 stars= An okay read, didn't particularly enjoy it but not too bad. 
3 stars= Liked the book. 
4 stars= Wow, really great read. 
5 stars= You can not top this. Everything I want from a book, no weaknesses, incredible. 
This rating system may not be visible yet (since most reviews i post here are very old). 

7. I use a mathematical approach to give a final star rating. Each book can get 1 to 5 points in the following categories: setting, my interest when reading, plot, characters, and mythology (I mostly read paranormals, but if contemporary it will be something like how realistic the book is). 

8. I dog ear books. Bad habit, I know. Since I've gotten some awesome bookmarks from authors I've stopped doing it as much. 

9. I prefer paranormal/fantasy to contemporary. Best books I've ever read have been in those two genres, no matter how much contemporary I read. 

10. On the library catalogue, mostly I pick books based on cover without reading the summary. If a cover makes a book look like it's in my genre, I'll probably request it 

So those are some of my confessions. I could probably go on, but more than 10 is overkill. What are some of yours? And thanks for visiting! 

4 comments:

  1. 1 year? LOL. I remember it took me 1 whole month to finish Angelfire and after, I wasn't able to review it because I already forgot some of the things that happened.

    I can't ever bring myself to dog ear a book except if I have a duplicate copy. That's why I always buy the ebook version of the books I love so I can bookmark my favorite scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer fantasy to pretty much all other genres as well and I also prefer to read long reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not huge into contemporary either - I have to read the book summary ... otherwise I'm lost.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Good article.I really think what you said is right,in modern society,we have so many troubles,if you feel nothing to relax yourself,I suggest you to play the wow and some other games,and you can come to my page to find more information about http://www.mmolive.com/ and http://www.mmohome.com/gold/Guild-Wars-2-US.html/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...