Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Review: A Need So Beautiful


A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)





Author: Suzanne Young
Pages: 267
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Source: Library
Challenge: Ultimate Reviewer's Challenge
Synopsis: We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be Forgotten...


Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.



But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.



Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.



Buy the Book : Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide or Amazon


A Need So Beautiful was so different from every other angel story out there. Yes, I know everyone says that but this time I'm 100% serious. For one, the girl is the angel. Second, she's a different kind of angel. Third, her story was so emotional for me.

The scariest thing I can imagine is being forgotten. I can't imagine losing myself and not existing. That's exactly what poor Charlotte has to go through as she will be Forgotten. That concept hit true. We met Charlotte's friends and family and ended up bonding and loving them just to end up with this dilemma.

I really liked the characters. Charlotte was such a cool character; all supportive and sweet without being a passive pushover. Her love for everyone in her life was genuine and I wasn't ever bored with her.

The side characters were just as good. Harlin was the perfect romantic interest. Finally we have a relationship that's been ongoing since before the book begins. A relationship that is healthy, I mean. He (like all the other side characters) is unique and has history. Sarah, Charlotte's best friend also called to me. She was damaged and hurt but impulsive and passionate. Her relationship with her dad and her search for the one really made me sympathize with her though the story wasn't that long.

I actually read this book in one sitting. The story was on the short side but still very satisfying. Except for the ending. Watch out for that curveball! After the last page, I'm left having absolutely no idea what could possible happen next. (Side note- I've read what happens next, and that's pretty good too!)

The plot itself was more emotional than action packed. It was about Charlotte making a choice and discovering who she was. I thought as a plot it was solid- not overly enthralling, but calm and evenly done. Enough action to keep you interested, but not too much. This kept me flipping pages but I can't say this was the most suspenseful book I've ever read.

What really distinguishes this book is the overall tone of the mythology. Honestly, there isn't too much angel lore thrown in. I think that it's possible for someone who doesn't read about the supernatural to enjoy A Need So Beautiful. I'm sure the mythology will grow but I felt less like I was reading a paranormal than I was reading a contemporary. Which to me, isn't really bad or good but to someone else that may be a selling point. What was there was thought provoking and I had many questions.

A Need So Beautiful is a promising start to what I think will be a great series. I really liked this book and thought it was exactly what I needed. 4 stars,

****

2 comments:

  1. Great review! We felt the same way as you on a lot of points: it's more emotional than action-packed, more contemporary than paranormal, more original (and healthy) than a lot of other books out there.

    The one thing we didn't feel was a lot of tension. The "bad guy" (or gal, in this case) wasn't really that scary, and Charlotte runs around town doing the same kinds of things over and over.

    Still, like you, we zipped through the book and found ourselves surprisingly engaged and moved. We liked the twist ending, and we enjoyed the sequel even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. I'm not a fan of angel books at all but I was told this one was different so I really want to try it. I love that the relationship was ongoing from the start, too, that's promising. It sounds really great overall! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...