Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: Close to Famous

Close to Famous
Author: Joan Bauer
Pages: 250
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Source: Library
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Foster McFee dreams of having her own cooking show like her idol, celebrity chef Sonny Kroll. Macon Dillard's goal is to be a documentary filmmaker. Foster's mother Rayka longs to be a headliner instead of a back-up singer. And Miss Charleena plans a triumphant return to Hollywood. Everyone has a dream, but nobody is even close to famous in the little town of Culpepper. Until some unexpected events shake the town and its inhabitantsÑand put their big ambitions to the test. Full of humor, unforgettable characters, surprises, and lots and lots of heart, this is Joan Bauer at her most engaging.

Close to Famous is an adorable sweet story about an even cuter girl named Foster who believes cupcakes make the world a better place.

When I first finished this book I considered it more of a MG than Teen book but later on I realized how even though the story was written very simply, even though the main character had a childlike optimism about her and that the plot seemed simple, there was more to it. Smaller hidden plot points woven in to create the very real life of Foster.

Foster's story felt real. I felt the pain that losing her father was, her struggle to read, her worries concerning her mother etc. There were many characters that all had there own hopes, dreams, and compromises. I honestly don't think even one character was flat. They were all quirky and wonderful to read of.

Obviously, there was a fair amount of baking and cupcakes in the story. I loved reading Foster's cooking tips. They were so cute. I was salivating many times because the cupcakes sounded so darn good. The instructions were there but since I knew I wasn't interested in cooking, I didn't enjoy those parts to the fullest. I think all people who love to bake would love Foster's story, and her cooking tips.

The thing I didn't like was that I didn't get hooked into the story. It's not a "read this book in one sitting" kind of book. It's something to read on random occasions little by little, slowly enjoying the story which I couldn't do since I was on a deadline.

Overall, this was a nice story and I'd give it 3.5 stars,

*** & 1/2 *

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for MG and YA books, with readers of each in the house. This one sounds suited to a younger YA reader, and it does sound like a good read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...